Server Downtime - July 23rd, 2010 - Power Failure

<<

EagleRock

Chief Barracks Officer
Chief Barracks Officer

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:31 pm

Server Downtime - July 23rd, 2010 - Power Failure

Hey everyone!

There was some unexpected downtime tonight due to a power failure in Northern NJ. There was a tornado rolling on through the region which caused some pretty evil rain and lightning. Thankfully, the tornado did not touch down, but it did manage to kick out the power around 8:15 EST. So, naturally, with no power, no server. However, thanks to the UPS, I was able to gracefully shut down the server and the disk array, so there was no loss of data.

The power came back around 9:15, and Delorean is humming along, happy as ever. Sorry for the trouble!
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Server Downtime - July 23rd, 2010 - Power Failure

I thought your house was on an automatic backup diesel generator with a direct redundant 15GB fiber optic link connected to the Northeast backbone?

Yeah, we're getting those up here as well. Hopefully I won't lose my ISP(s)....
<<

EagleRock

Chief Barracks Officer
Chief Barracks Officer

Post Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:20 pm

ByteSlinger wrote:I thought your house was on an automatic backup diesel generator with a direct redundant 15GB fiber optic link connected to the Northeast backbone?

Yeah right, I wish.

You know, working for a megacorp makes me wonder why I don't have an identical server on a comparable Internet connection (from a different company) plugged into a different power grid, data synced up in realtime?

Then again, I don't exactly have the budget of a megacorp, so you won't see me slapping together some 42U's filled with IBM 3950's across the region.
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:21 pm

EagleRock wrote:
ByteSlinger wrote:I thought your house was on an automatic backup diesel generator with a direct redundant 15GB fiber optic link connected to the Northeast backbone?

Yeah right, I wish.

You know, working for a megacorp makes me wonder why I don't have an identical server on a comparable Internet connection (from a different company) plugged into a different power grid, data synced up in realtime?

Then again, I don't exactly have the budget of a megacorp, so you won't see me slapping together some 42U's filled with IBM 3950's across the region.

Oh, but you can drive a Mercedes, right? Come on - what's more important, a fly ride or a rig setup that would make the NSA drool?

Return to Server Info/FAQ's