The Barracks Typing Competition!

Moderators: Elite Guard Officers, Executive Officers

<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:29 am

Re: The Barracks Typing Competition!

EagleRock wrote:I have no witty response to the main thrust of Byte's response, so I'm going to nitpick it:

ByteSlinger wrote:Or running a marathon in flip-flops...

What kind of flip-flops? A D Flip-FLop, an SR Flip-Flop, or a JK Flip Flop?

Wow, there's a geek reference for you. Of course, considering I was doing redstone wiring in Minecraft, it does keep me in the right frame of mind.

Who would've thought that my Digital Logic course from like 8 years ago would be relevant to a game I play in 2011?

JK Flip-flop, of course. When I took my hardware and circuit design classes way back in 1980's, I had to build those circuits from a manual breadboard using AND, OR and NAND chips courtesy of Texas Instruments. We used a JK flip flop in conjunction with a hex decoder and a single LED readout to implement a counter from 0 to 15 (0..9,A..F) every time a switch was opened and closed. The J-K flip flop prevented spark gaps from the switch from advancing the counter more than once. We used the JK as a circuit stabilizer and a raw RAM bit.

No, I did NOT use radio tubes. However, I did find out that with enough amperage, they do make lovely party-poppers!

Hows THAT for GEEK?
<<

EagleRock

Chief Barracks Officer
Chief Barracks Officer

Post Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:58 pm

ByteSlinger wrote:
EagleRock wrote:JK Flip-flop, of course. When I took my hardware and circuit design classes way back in 1980's, I had to build those circuits from a manual breadboard using AND, OR and NAND chips courtesy of Texas Instruments. We used a JK flip flop in conjunction with a hex decoder and a single LED readout to implement a counter from 0 to 15 (0..9,A..F) every time a switch was opened and closed. The J-K flip flop prevented spark gaps from the switch from advancing the counter more than once. We used the JK as a circuit stabilizer and a raw RAM bit.

No, I did NOT use radio tubes. However, I did find out that with enough amperage, they do make lovely party-poppers!

Hows THAT for GEEK?

I call epic. See, we used simulation software in our class, so none of that physical stuff for us. I WAS awesome, however, to copy and paste some of our circuitry to make life a lot easier (and quicker). :-)

Now I miss that program because designing circuits in Minecraft is very tedious and slow, but the benefits are all the more epic. You'd be amazed at how many people you can mesmerize with a simple 5-clock pulser that makes a pattern on a ferris wheel light up and flash ;-)
<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:22 pm

I for one can surely attest to the epicness of said Ferrous Wheel. The pulsing of the redstone torches in the distance looks just AWESOME! Very well done, Eagle. Very well done indeed.

However, while I may understand the AND and OR gates of redstone wiring, fine, whatever, it's getting the whole damn thing set up which is difficult as hell. Knowing what type of wiring I'm trying to use or am currently building, that's the part which fries my brain.

The reason I understand the AND and OR gates is because back in my math course last semester, we had a section on Logic which used Truth Tables, Standard Forms of Arguments, etc. So if the statement read something like:

p ^ q V ~p --> ~q

we would have to set up a truth table to see if the statement is true or false. I understand that fine, but putting the whole thing into "physical" practice, so to speak, that's the part I'm still not understanding.
95% of teens would cry if the Jonas brothers were about to jump off of a 10 story building. I'm one of the 5% who would bring popcorn and invite friends.
CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
<<

Tycrane

STILL in Boot Camp...
STILL in Boot Camp...

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:36 pm

Here's my best run.

Kinda' average compared to some of the people here. :P

I haz more internets than you.

<<

MwMike

New Soldier
New Soldier

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:18 pm

I'd just like to remind you all that I'm superior to every single one of you. ;)

110WPM-4Mistakes :D
Attachments
110wpmmasterrace.PNG
110wpmmasterrace.PNG (11.17 KiB) Viewed 136584 times
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:37 pm

MwMike wrote:I'd just like to remind you all that I'm superior to every single one of you. ;)

110WPM-4Mistakes :D

While that is quite an impressive speed, it doesn't prove superiority by any means. All it means is that you'd make a great court stenographer or an effective secretary to some bloated corporate executive. Each one of us has our talents, and what I'm good at may not be the same as you. To say I am superior over you because I can program fluently in a dozen languages, build PCs, servers and networks in my sleep, and find my way into places that...oh, uh...no, I never did ANY of that... well, that's not fair to you.

I'm glad you can type fast. Now show me a 10,000 line PHP website with full e-commerce ability that you wrote from scratch...hehehehe... :twisted:
<<

MwMike

New Soldier
New Soldier

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:41 am

ByteSlinger wrote:While that is quite an impressive speed, it doesn't prove superiority by any means. All it means is that you'd make a great court stenographer or an effective secretary to some bloated corporate executive. Each one of us has our talents, and what I'm good at may not be the same as you. To say I am superior over you because I can program fluently in a dozen languages, build PCs, servers and networks in my sleep, and find my way into places that...oh, uh...no, I never did ANY of that... well, that's not fair to you.

It proves superiority in one single field. While you're superior in dozen of fields. And overall.

I'm glad you can type fast. Now show me a 10,000 line PHP website with full e-commerce ability that you wrote from scratch...hehehehe... :twisted:

Yes, Byte. Just for you. <3
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:23 am

No, Mike, you missed my point - neither one of us is "superior" to the other. We are both people with different talents, as is the way of the world. But I consider myself superior to no one - well, maybe a little bit over my minions, but they do get cookies and milk and treated quite fairly... :D
<<

MwMike

New Soldier
New Soldier

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:51 pm

I consider everybody equal, bar from you. You're a tier above us regularlings.
<<

RogerBK

Spec Ops
Spec Ops

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:10 pm

So, I'm superior in speaking Portuguese?? Wee!

lol, it was hard to put the image in the signature... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

MwMike

New Soldier
New Soldier

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:20 am

RogerBK wrote:So, I'm superior in speaking Portuguese?? Wee!

Ja. I have to give you that one.
<<

RogerBK

Spec Ops
Spec Ops

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:04 am

MwMike wrote:
RogerBK wrote:So, I'm superior in speaking Portuguese?? Wee!

Ja. I have to give you that one.

Obrigado!

lolol, will someone translate it? Our most famous word! :P

lol, it was hard to put the image in the signature... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

ngfan

Starting Boot Camp
Starting Boot Camp

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm faster than a couple of people here, but not even close to being the fastest. It was my first try though. :p
Attachments
typetest.jpg
typetest.jpg (43.8 KiB) Viewed 136476 times
<<

Jolly

Wow, I'm an Admin now!
Wow, I'm an Admin now!

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:31 pm

I may redo it later and try to make less mistakes and type a little bit faster.

Edit: I average 115 WPM until midway through the paragraph, and then whenever I get to the bottom of the paragraph when the view changes of it changes slightly I mess up and go down to 95-100.
<<

Asandir

Wow, I'm an Admin now!
Wow, I'm an Admin now!

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:35 pm

Well, I have chosen german as language, but I am still very slow, here are my results:
39 WPM (173 chars)
3 errors (accuracy = 91%)
Adjusted speed = 31 WPM
:oops:
Without truth, there is no justice.
PreviousNext

Return to Barracks Lounge