generic game makers

Moderators: Elite Guard Officers, Executive Officers

<<

BenwaHakubi

New Soldier
New Soldier

Post Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:33 am

generic game makers

Is anyone as annoyed as me at these generic game makers? They make games that are all the same, but with different skins and music. Games2rule is by far the biggest offender. What they submit pretty much adds up to spam in my book. Every time I see another hunt for random letters or army men I want to tear my hair out because its like seeing the same game submitted OVER and OVER. What is worse is they have no soul, they are completely cookie cutter. What are you guys's take on this?

(If this was in the wrong spot feel free to move it)
<<

EagleRock

Chief Barracks Officer
Chief Barracks Officer

Post Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:02 am

Re: generic game makers

BenwaHakubi wrote:Is anyone as annoyed as me at these generic game makers? They make games that are all the same, but with different skins and music. Games2rule is by far the biggest offender. What they submit pretty much adds up to spam in my book. Every time I see another hunt for random letters or army men I want to tear my hair out because its like seeing the same game submitted OVER and OVER. What is worse is they have no soul, they are completely cookie cutter. What are you guys's take on this?

(If this was in the wrong spot feel free to move it)

*Braces for Cobra's rant on the subject*
<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:48 pm

Oh hardy har har Eagle! :lol: :lol:

But yea I am getting rather fed-up with all these generic game making sites. At least sites like ArmorGames and Kongregate(?) are known for putting out good quality games and they have author information. Unlike the others. That's the real downside if you ask me. It males our jobs that much more difficult. If we can't find any author information if we think a submission is legitimately stolen, how are we supposed to back up that claim? We can't! >_<

</rant>
Last edited by SlntCobra1 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo.
95% of teens would cry if the Jonas brothers were about to jump off of a 10 story building. I'm one of the 5% who would bring popcorn and invite friends.
CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:53 pm

SlntCobra1 wrote:Oh hardy har har Eagle! :lol: :lol:

But yea I am getting rather fed-up with all these generic game making sites. At least sites like ArmorGames and Kongregate(?) are known for putting out good quality games and they have author information. Unlike the others. That's the real downside if you ask me. It males our jobs that much more difficult. If we can't find any author information if we think a submission is legitimately stolen, how are we supposed to back up that claim? We can't! >_<

</rant>

Way to rant, Cobra! Yeah, you're right - seems like the overall level of imagination and creativity has dropped to somewhere below "philodendron". No matter how you look at it, these game generators are just glorified spam. Same crap over and over, with a little different graphics. Quite frankly, if we see a potential theft of one of these cheap knockoffs, I wouldn't even bother to research it, much less whistle it, as it's virtually impossible to prove theft versus "creative influence".

What we really need is a new whistle option (besides malicious, stolen, etc...). It can be called "Are you shittin' me?" - a perfect option describing all of the flash that, once viewed, give that obvious "duh, this is crap, why are we even discussing it?" moment.

And since I'm on my soap box - I think the "weighted voting" system needs to be smarter. It shouldn't just look at your experience level and rank - it should also factor in your whistle, review count and blam/protect ratios. Users that show a more positive trend to being fair (better whistle status, decent b/p ratio, decent review count, etc.) should have more pull than those who spam the portal. Think about it - say you have two users who both are at 35,000 b/p points, and both been similarly active for 3 years. They'll both have about the same voting power. But if one of them has a gold whistle, with 12,000 blams and 23,000 saves and has made 1,000 quality reviews - and the other one has a garbage whistle, only 300 blams and nothing but one-liners - why should their votes be equal? The first user is playing fair, and the other one is a stat whore has no concept on how to whistle or review. If Newgrounds was programmed to reward only the fair users, and not everyone, well maybe we wouldn't have so much crud passing every day.

And that's just my opinion, since it was my turn to rant! :lol:

Return to Barracks Lounge