Moderators: Elite Guard Officers, Executive Officers

<<

EagleRock

Chief Barracks Officer
Chief Barracks Officer

Post Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:16 pm

Wikigrounds EGB Entry

Hey everyone,

I just got a PM from IceDragon64, the guy that had that random post in the EGB a page or two back. It was as follows:

Dear ER,

Please take a look at my post in the Barracks and your colleague's reply. We will be making pages about the most Notable clubs in due course and I was hoping that yours would be among the first.

Wikigrounds is an open wiki, but it is heavily Watched, so whatever you write would be quite well protected from Vandalism.

Best wishes from Wikigrounds,

IceD

I'd like to know if you guys were interested in adding info about the club. The page is http://newgrounds.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page. Let me know what you guys think!
<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:30 pm

Re: Wikigrounds EGB Entry

Well the thought has crossed my mind a couple times since the start of the NG Wiki page. I've just never taken the time to put anything into it. :\

But, sure, why not include some info on our club? It could help us more in the long run with new users who want to join us, but do not meet the requirements. :) :)
95% of teens would cry if the Jonas brothers were about to jump off of a 10 story building. I'm one of the 5% who would bring popcorn and invite friends.
CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
<<

aldlv

Soldier
Soldier

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:42 pm

info of the club sounds like a really good idea, a entire page dedicated to us, with info about our activities, and with the members (maybe may name... yay XD)
is there any other club that have it's page there already?
of are we going to be the first ones, that would be nice
- Comandante Supremo aldlv -

Byte rules!!! thanx for such an awesome sig!!!
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:25 am

This guy posted his request on 8/18/2010, and I did respond. Here is an excerpt from my post:
(his text is in gold, my response is in white)

--- Begin Excerpt-------
...Now, to business.

Oh, wait - this is serious?

If any of you felt like telling the world about yourselves, you would be most welcome to create a page on Wikigrounds

Well, we do have our own website, http://www.eliteguardbarracks.com

It is Crew month on Wikigrounds at the moment, but we so far only have pages about Flash Crews, not BBS Clubs.
We would appreciate some facts about who you are and what you do with appropriate links and some kind of Pix.

I just checked out the site - I can see it's still in beta, and the first question that comes to mind is: If someone from the EGB creates an account and edits a page, what prevents someone else from altering it? I edited a random page without even logging in - that's not very secure!

Quite frankly, between our website and our own BBS, I don't think we need any more advertising. But I will defer to EagleRock, as it is his decision to make.

Thank you for your time, gentlemen.

You are welcome. BTW, I'm one of the few women of the EGB, for the record. Just so you know...

--- End Excerpt -------

The biggest problem I see here is content control. How do we post accurate information about ourselves and prevent it from being altered by someone outside of the barracks? And even if they could secure it, which members of the EGB would be given the permission to post in our name? Would all of us be able to add our opinion, or would it be limited to EagleRock and/or a few ranking officers?

It would be nice to have more positive awareness about the EGB, this is true - but if we can't control it, one good "hack" could make us all look very bad, very fast. I'm not sure how to roll on this one. Anyone have any ideas?
<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Yea that thought has crossed my mind a more than a few times. Hence why I really haven't said anything else on the subject. Yea, the security is more than lacking. That's one of the big issues with any wiki page. Anyone can edit any page without even being a member. I guess if I had to say one way or the other, I'd say a few ranking officers and you and Eagle.
95% of teens would cry if the Jonas brothers were about to jump off of a 10 story building. I'm one of the 5% who would bring popcorn and invite friends.
CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage

Return to Barracks Lounge