The Barracks Typing Competition!

Moderators: Elite Guard Officers, Executive Officers

<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:59 am

Re: The Barracks Typing Competition!

That's cool, Cobra. You did just fine. It takes some time - and a LOT of practice - to get your typing speed up. Most people don't bother, unless they are writers, programmers or transcribers.

Besides, it's not always about speed - content is what matters.

And as for our Illustrious leader EagleRock, I am sure he will not rest until he hits 101 wpm. The male geek ego will NOT let him rest until he is triumphant. As the commander of the barracks, and the admin of this board, he must remain the "alpha" geek, or risk losing his self-respect and stature among the masses. I am sure that as I am typing this, he is pounding away at Dorothy and the witch with extreme prejudice.
<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:09 pm

ByteSlinger wrote:And as for our Illustrious leader EagleRock, I am sure he will not rest until he hits 101 wpm. The male geek ego will NOT let him rest until he is triumphant. As the commander of the barracks, and the admin of this board, he must remain the "alpha" geek, or risk losing his self-respect and stature among the masses. I am sure that as I am typing this, he is pounding away at Dorothy and the witch with extreme prejudice.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hey Eagle, want some ice for that burn!?
95% of teens would cry if the Jonas brothers were about to jump off of a 10 story building. I'm one of the 5% who would bring popcorn and invite friends.
CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
<<

DumbassDude

Soldier
Soldier

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:20 pm

I only type with both my index fingers, and I can type faster than most people who use all their fingers. Does anyone else do this?
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:38 pm

DumbassDude wrote:I only type with both my index fingers, and I can type faster than most people who use all their fingers. Does anyone else do this?

Nope. Most of us have evolved to using our opposible thumbs, and discovered the other three fingers on each hand besides the veritable pointer finger. Besides, it's far more efficient to use 10 fingers instead of two - but, hey, whatever works for you - who are we to judge?

BTW - this is post #1,000 on the new BBS. Just wanted to let you know....hehehehe
<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:25 pm

Looking back at my score, I've begun to wonder what the normal curve for typing would look like. It's been the recent topic of my math class that got me started on this. 68% or people in any given set of data, fall within 1 Standard Deviation of the Mean, be it good or bad. 95% of people in any given set of data, fall within 2 Standard Deviations of the Mean. Last but not least, 99.7% of people in any given set of data fall within 3 Standard Deviations of the Mean.

:?: :?: :? :?
95% of teens would cry if the Jonas brothers were about to jump off of a 10 story building. I'm one of the 5% who would bring popcorn and invite friends.
CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
<<

MwMike

New Soldier
New Soldier

Post Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:41 pm

This isn't at all bad, however I'm planning to retake the test tomorrow on my own laptop, I'm using another one which I'm not in the least bit used to working with, and have only typed a few sentences on in the past. I also have extremely cold hands. :3 And haven't been typing anywhere near as much as I used to, and recently my typing has been quite a bit slower, and included quite a few more mistakes than it used to.
<<

MwMike

New Soldier
New Soldier

Post Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:28 pm

BE DAMNED, BYTESLINGER, BE DAMNED. ONE WPM AWAY.

<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:25 am

MwMike wrote:BE DAMNED, BYTESLINGER, BE DAMNED. ONE WPM AWAY.

Oh, I've been damned for a long time now. Just because you type as fast as I do doesn't mean you're as smart or as cute as I am. So there! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

MwMike

New Soldier
New Soldier

Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:41 pm

Woo, 99 with no mistakes. :D

<<

RogerBK

Spec Ops
Spec Ops

Post Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:44 pm

I forgot my result, I think I'll do this test again...

I use a fucking small netbook keyboard, thet's why I'm soo slow... Just like a little turtle... :3

Will do that again.

lol, it was hard to put the image in the signature... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

EagleRock

Chief Barracks Officer
Chief Barracks Officer

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:09 pm

RogerBK wrote:I forgot my result, I think I'll do this test again...

I use a fucking small netbook keyboard, thet's why I'm soo slow... Just like a little turtle... :3

Will do that again.

Taking part in a typing contest with a netbook keyboard is like going in the Indy 500 with a Smart car. :-)
<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:36 pm

EagleRock wrote:Taking part in a typing contest with a netbook keyboard is like going in the Indy 500 with a Smart car. :-)

Speaking of Smart Cars, I like to think they're nothing more than oversized golf carts! I mean they're just barely bigger than one anyway!
CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
<<

RogerBK

Spec Ops
Spec Ops

Post Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:31 am

EagleRock wrote:Taking part in a typing contest with a netbook keyboard is like going in the Indy 500 with a Smart car. :-)

Yes it is, it's like going to the World War 2 with a little pocket knife.

lol, it was hard to put the image in the signature... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:27 am

Or like going skydiving with a bedsheet as your parachute...
Or running a marathon in flip-flops...
Or bringing chopsticks to a soup-eating contest...

(I could go on...)

SlntCobra1 wrote:Speaking of Smart Cars, I like to think they're nothing more than oversized golf carts! I mean they're just barely bigger than one anyway!

I drive a 2000 Hyundai Elantra - by no means anything that resembles the musclecars my Dad let me drive decades ago - but when I pull up next to a Smart Car, I get to laugh and point at them. I mean, at least my car has a key ignition - I think to start the Smart car, you first have to put 4 quarters in a slot and then pull the motor start handle a few times. But, hey, it must be nice owning a car that can double as your coffin when you're in anything more than a minor fender-bender.

My definition of a "Smart" car: fully automated driving, fully stocked bar (hey, it's driving itself now - I'm just a passenger!), full access to all radio, TV, satellite and comm lines - and the ability to tell me the winning lottery numbers a day before the mega-millions drawing. It doesn't have to be the size of a tour bus - a mid size car would be just fine. I wouldn't have to deal with driving in traffic - I could work (or rest) while the damn car got me there the best way it could...
<<

EagleRock

Chief Barracks Officer
Chief Barracks Officer

Post Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:52 am

I have no witty response to the main thrust of Byte's response, so I'm going to nitpick it:

ByteSlinger wrote:Or running a marathon in flip-flops...

What kind of flip-flops? A D Flip-FLop, an SR Flip-Flop, or a JK Flip Flop?

Wow, there's a geek reference for you. Of course, considering I was doing redstone wiring in Minecraft, it does keep me in the right frame of mind.

Who would've thought that my Digital Logic course from like 8 years ago would be relevant to a game I play in 2011?
PreviousNext

Return to Barracks Lounge