The Official EGB "Eagle's got an iPhone 4" bragging thread

Discuss. :D
<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Re: The Official EGB "Eagle's got an iPhone 4" bragging thre

Don't have one, too damn expensive! Hell, every Mac product in their "iLife" is too damn expensive.
95% of teens would cry if the Jonas brothers were about to jump off of a 10 story building. I'm one of the 5% who would bring popcorn and invite friends.
CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:39 pm

Oh, so I'm supposed to be impressed? 6 months from now it will be obsolete, just like every other technology.

iPhone = It pleases hollowly our needy egos

:D :D
<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:45 pm

Technically, it would be our Ids that the iPhone hollowly pleases. The Id is all about instant gratification. The Ego is our moral structure, and the superego is the part of our personality that helps the quell the Id. :)
95% of teens would cry if the Jonas brothers were about to jump off of a 10 story building. I'm one of the 5% who would bring popcorn and invite friends.
CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
<<

EagleRock

Chief Barracks Officer
Chief Barracks Officer

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:23 am

ByteSlinger wrote:Oh, so I'm supposed to be impressed? 6 months from now it will be obsolete, just like every other technology.

That's BS and you know it. If technology isn't impressive to you because it becomes obsolete, then what does impress you? lol

But seriously, beyond all the hype and glitz and glamour of the iPhone, it is something to be impressed by. I mean, I've been using the iPhone 2G since 2007, and it was the best mobile phone at the time. Now, that's not to say that the iPhone is not the only capable convergence device out there, but it was revolutionary for its time. It took everything that was shitty about cell phones and tossed them away. Now, while the iPhone has its own issues (many, in fact), I choose them over other smartphones' drawbacks every day.

Also, since it is a device I depend on daily for multiple things, getting the latest iPhone was a big big deal for me, for many reasons:

1) I'm running on 3G now, where the original iPhone ran on EDGE. Big diff doing basic things
2) The processor is at least twice as fast. Makes things much quicker and efficient
3) Decent enough camera + videocamera means 2 less items in my bag 'o' tricks that I need to carry
4) Much better screen is far better on the eyes...also makes web browsing very tolerable

So, it's not just about drooling over pretty shiny thing...it is something I've been waiting for...for a while.

Besides, while I kid a lot around here, I'd say my life is blessed enough that I don't need to search for ego boosts in shiny electronic devices that I shell out 300 bucks for. I do, however, use them to create threads on the EGB forums that are encroaching trolling status. :lol:
<<

EagleRock

Chief Barracks Officer
Chief Barracks Officer

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:54 am

SlntCobra1 wrote:Technically, it would be our Ids that the iPhone hollowly pleases. The Id is all about instant gratification. The Ego is our moral structure, and the superego is the part of our personality that helps the quell the Id. :)

Also, if I might add, I can decompose that statement of yours, or rather, the mindset behind it and how your psyche handled it:

As you were starting to type this, your ego said "I am going to politely correct Byte about this with intelligent language."

Your id then kicked in, saying "Hey now! I'll get more lulz out of this if I make it snarky! Let me tweak that a bit!"

At the end, right before you clicked submit, your superego shrugged and said, "Yeah right, like I'm gonna win this fight" and gave up. Hence, this post.

Ladies and gentlemen, that was a small window into Cobra's psyche. :P
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 am

EagleRock wrote:
ByteSlinger wrote:Oh, so I'm supposed to be impressed? 6 months from now it will be obsolete, just like every other technology.

That's BS and you know it. If technology isn't impressive to you because it becomes obsolete, then what does impress you? lol

Technology by itself is like a full toolbox in a room full of quadriplegics - nice to look at, but if it's not serving a purpose, then it's just a toy. As for what impresses me: lets just say that I had been involved as a subcontractor to a project that contained rows upon rows of countless blade servers (actually, a bit over 2,000) tied to a phenomenal total of 3.68 zettabytes over huge raid 10 arrays of high-speed SCSI drives. The system grabs untold gigabytes of network bandwidth, and its primary use is for real-time video processing for all the major broadcasting networks. Now, THAT's impressive.

EagleRock wrote:But seriously, beyond all the hype and glitz and glamour of the iPhone, it is something to be impressed by. I mean, I've been using the iPhone 2G since 2007, and it was the best mobile phone at the time. Now, that's not to say that the iPhone is not the only capable convergence device out there, but it was revolutionary for its time. It took everything that was shitty about cell phones and tossed them away. Now, while the iPhone has its own issues (many, in fact), I choose them over other smartphones' drawbacks every day.

While I will admit that it is becoming closer to a true convergence tool, it still isn't really ready for prime time yet. Plenty of apps - but depending on your provider, limited service areas. Nice style and design - but drop it on the floor or land it in a mud puddle, and it's toast. Also, people tend to personally configure them and fill them full of pics and info - and when it crashes (and it WILL) they have to scramble to put it all back the way it was. The phone is smarter than 90% of the users, and it ain't making them any smarter

EagleRock wrote:Also, since it is a device I depend on daily for multiple things, getting the latest iPhone was a big big deal for me, for many reasons:

1) I'm running on 3G now, where the original iPhone ran on EDGE. Big diff doing basic things
2) The processor is at least twice as fast. Makes things much quicker and efficient
3) Decent enough camera + videocamera means 2 less items in my bag 'o' tricks that I need to carry
4) Much better screen is far better on the eyes...also makes web browsing very tolerable

So, it's not just about drooling over pretty shiny thing...it is something I've been waiting for...for a while.

You fall in that 10% category that actually may be smarter than their phone - and know how to use it in many ways. But let's face it - deep down inside, when you're chatting on your new toy and you see other people with their old-fashioned cell phones (like mine), you know you're thinking "My phone's cooler than yours!". It's all about the male ego - and that NEVER changes

EagleRock wrote:Besides, while I kid a lot around here, I'd say my life is blessed enough that I don't need to search for ego boosts in shiny electronic devices that I shell out 300 bucks for. I do, however, use them to create threads on the EGB forums that are encroaching trolling status. :lol:

Naw, this isn't trolling. Besides, only three of us are using this BBS anyway (you, Cobra and me). Not much fun looking for trolls here... :D

EagleRock wrote:
SlntCobra1 wrote:Technically, it would be our Ids that the iPhone hollowly pleases. The Id is all about instant gratification. The Ego is our moral structure, and the superego is the part of our personality that helps the quell the Id. :)

Also, if I might add, I can decompose that statement of yours, or rather, the mindset behind it and how your psyche handled it:

As you were starting to type this, your ego said "I am going to politely correct Byte about this with intelligent language."

Your id then kicked in, saying "Hey now! I'll get more lulz out of this if I make it snarky! Let me tweak that a bit!"

At the end, right before you clicked submit, your superego shrugged and said, "Yeah right, like I'm gonna win this fight" and gave up. Hence, this post.

Ladies and gentlemen, that was a small window into Cobra's psyche. :P

While the id does control our base desire for instant gratification, it is the ego that we represent to the world, and how we feel about ourselves. For example, someone who is "egotistical" has an over-infllated view of themselves, thinking that they are more important than they really are. Also, if a man is verbally berated by a woman in front of his male friends, he might have his ego hurt - his self-image has been tarnished.

That is why I say that this gadget "pleases hollowly our egos" - it is naught but a flashy toy that a man can wave around to make himself feel more important, and by doing so show his superiority over the other males. He has the best technology - he is the alpha male. Many years ago, it used to be middle-aged men driving red Corvettes. Just another toy....

</troll>
Last edited by SlntCobra1 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: names are not to be mentioned in non-secure forums. :)
<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:28 pm

I think this sums it all up, what do you think Eagle? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by SlntCobra1 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed image location
CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
<<

EagleRock

Chief Barracks Officer
Chief Barracks Officer

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:43 pm

SlntCobra1 wrote:I think this sums it all up, what do you think Eagle? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wait, what? I couldn't hear you over all the awesome my iPhone is making. :D :D :D

ByteSlinger wrote:Technology by itself is like a full toolbox in a room full of quadriplegics - nice to look at, but if it's not serving a purpose, then it's just a toy. As for what impresses me: lets just say that I had been involved as a subcontractor to a project that contained rows upon rows of countless blade servers (actually, a bit over 2,000) tied to a phenomenal total of 3.68 zettabytes over huge raid 10 arrays of high-speed SCSI drives. The system grabs untold gigabytes of network bandwidth, and its primary use is for real-time video processing for all the major broadcasting networks. Now, THAT's impressive.

I agree...that is impressive. However, I've seen data centers with drool-worthy hardware the go COMPLETELY UNUSED. While the hardware itself is impressive, the technology to me is not. Why? Because it's owned by a bunch of morons that either don't realize the power they have or are just plain wasteful. So, in that sense, I agree with you. However, lack of complacency isn't just relegated to cell phones...that's true for any type of technology, whether it fits in your pocket or in 20 data centers worldwide.

ByteSlinger wrote:While I will admit that it is becoming closer to a true convergence tool, it still isn't really ready for prime time yet. Plenty of apps - but depending on your provider, limited service areas. Nice style and design - but drop it on the floor or land it in a mud puddle, and it's toast. Also, people tend to personally configure them and fill them full of pics and info - and when it crashes (and it WILL) they have to scramble to put it all back the way it was. The phone is smarter than 90% of the users, and it ain't making them any smarter

Again, true, true. But isn't that true with any cell phone? Windows Mobile phones have more flexibility, and yet, installing the applications on them is often a pain in the ass, because they rarely work. Android is supposed to be "open," but it's really "we're doing the same thing Apple's doing, but we're not Apple, so we can claim we're 'open' and they're not." So, what smartphone is really there?

And as far as the durabilty, the iPhone is quite a bit stronger than you'd think. I dropped my original phone at least 25 times in the last 3 years (with no case on it), and while it shows it with scratches and small dents, it still works perfectly. They did build them with the quality you'd expect for the price you pay.

ByteSlinger wrote:You fall in that 10% category that actually may be smarter than their phone - and know how to use it in many ways. But let's face it - deep down inside, when you're chatting on your new toy and you see other people with their old-fashioned cell phones (like mine), you know you're thinking "My phone's cooler than yours!". It's all about the male ego - and that NEVER changes

Again, true. It's something the Linux community refers to as SNS Syndrome, or "Shiny New Shit." New pretty thing...must have! But, remember, I've gotten used to using the iPhone on a daily basis, and I really do use it for quite a lot. My excitement is more about doing things I've always done faster and better, as well as being able to do new things with it.

And as far as the "My phone's cooler than yours" deal, it's not. It's a phone. The Motorola Droid could be the coolest phone ever. Ask a Droid user, and they'd tell you that. It's not about which device is the best, it's about which device is the best for you. This one's the best for me, and I plan on getting my money's worth over the next couple of years.

ByteSlinger wrote:Naw, this isn't trolling. Besides, only three of us are using this BBS anyway (you, Trev and me). Not much fun looking for trolls here... :D

Damn...I guess I'm not trying hard enough. Let's try this:

YOUR MOTHERS ALL WEAR COMBAT BOOTS!
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:54 pm

First off, it was my DAD who wore the combat boots. My Mom just borrowed them on weekends to clean the bathroom.

As for trolls - they may look cute, but in a group, they can be sneaky, perverted and dangerous:
Or, in other words, just the type of people I can relate to....hehehehe
<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:46 am

CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
<<

DumbassDude

Soldier
Soldier

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:46 am

Went ahead and read a review for this 'iPhone 4' thing, can't help but be jealous :geek:

Not a fan of phones, but an avid fan of gadgets.
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:47 pm

I hear that the iPhone 5 will be out by Christmas. It will have a direct-satellite internal antenna, multi-frequency broadband communications at speeds up to 2.45GB/sec, 128GB RAM, 4TB 1.2" hard drive, HDTV-3D screen, and be able to run all the major operating systems in various emulator apps. Powered by 6 micro-portable i7 CPUs running at the insane speed of 3.2Ghz O/C, there is virtually no start-up, load or shut-down delays. You can control it via the conventional touch-slide screen, or use the new direct-cranial interface that screws gently into your left temple. One of the benefits of the direct-cranial interface is that the iP5 will reclaim unused brain cells as an off-site backup to all the data on the unit.

While the unit itself will comfortably fit in the palm of your hand, and weighs just under a pound, Apple is still working on a battery power issue. The new unit does require quite a bit of wattage, and the only way to keep it running a few hours is to use the "external dorsal battery carrier component" - or, in layman's terms, a Sears 450 CCA truck battery, weighing a hefty 27 pounds, stuffed into a "Hello Kitty" backpack.

Pre-orders are being taken now on the Apple website... :lol:

Return to Barracks Lounge