Computer Repairs

Moderators: Elite Guard Officers, Executive Officers

<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:06 pm

Computer Repairs

I AM FINALLY GOING TO GET MY LAPTOP FIXED!!! Though I wish the regular phone companies would make a phone that is EASY TO USE TO SWITCH FROM AN ACTIVE CALL to a CALL THAT IS WAITING SO THAT NO PHONE TAG IS BEING PLAYED!
Attachments
DSC_0001.JPG
my laptop back in september
DSC_0001.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 12511 times
95% of teens would cry if the Jonas brothers were about to jump off of a 10 story building. I'm one of the 5% who would bring popcorn and invite friends.
CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: Computer Repairs

Glad to hear that your Dell Studio laptop is going in for service. Little heads up: a client of mine sent hers in to replace a defective LCD screen - everything else was ok. When she got it back, the screen was fine - but then the wireless connection started to act flaky and disconnect, or not get an address from the router. Couldn't figure it out - all the drivers and software were fine. Popped open the bottom of the case, and discovered that in the process of dis-assembly / re-assembly, they managed to not reconnect the small antenna wire from the WLAN chip to the frame connection. Fortunately, it was a quick pop-in, and all was well. But it took us a few days of testing before we checked the hardware. After all, what does the LCD screen have to do with the WLAN circuit?

Good luck - hope it's a quick and cheap fix! 8-)
<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Whoever said I was sending it in? ;)
95% of teens would cry if the Jonas brothers were about to jump off of a 10 story building. I'm one of the 5% who would bring popcorn and invite friends.
CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:14 pm

SlntCobra1 wrote:Whoever said I was sending it in? ;)

Are you doing it yourself...or are you dragging it to a local shop that's going to open it up and do all the magic? It's not a matter of how far it travels - it matters how well the repair person does their job, silly! :P
<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:04 pm

In home repair. The chat log should explain the rest.

Attachment -- Being tested.
Last edited by SlntCobra1 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no attachment.
CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:14 pm

Well, now you know what to look for and check before the tech runs away!
<<

EagleRock

Chief Barracks Officer
Chief Barracks Officer

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:15 pm

testing attachment.
<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:24 pm

Here's the chat log. I hope.
Attachments
Repair chat -- edited.docx
Let's try this again, shall we?
(25.54 KiB) Downloaded 569 times
CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:10 pm

SlntCobra1 wrote:Here's the chat log. I hope.

Interesting chat - the technicians at Dell are generally pleasant, but as you encountered, sometimes they question the fact of "failure vs. abuse". That's always one thing I do when I talk to them - I present the problem in such a way that they usually don't question the repair. I had one client who had a Vostro Slim Line that was just under a year old - and one day, while he was using it, the local power company shorted out the line down his block. It created a surge followed by a blackout, and affected dozens of homes on his street. His PC, which only had a cheap "surge suppressor", took it in the shorts, wiping out the power supply and the mobo - to the extent he even smelled something burning and unplugged it completely. When I called Dell to schedule a repair, they asked me about the failure symptoms. I told them that the power supply and mobo were blown. Nothing would spin up, and prior to this, there were sparks and the smell of something burning emanating from the PC. I said that I was afraid to power it up because it might present a fire hazard. Within ten minutes, along with multiple apologies, they set up my client to get a brand new box. They didn't make his model anymore (he bought it at the end of that model's cycle) so they upgraded him to bigger and better. They never asked me if there were any external causes of this power failure - and I didn't mention it (Don't ask, don't tell).

I also think that since they were talking to a woman - acting all sweet and polite, but intelligent - they would tend to believe me more, as a matter of respect. :D

Fools! This is why the Dark Queen of all that is not Linux uses Dell - they are everywhere, and their minions are so easy to subjugate! Mwuhahahahaha!!!! :evil:

Anyways, good luck with that repair - just keep an eye on them and document anything that they screw up. Hopefully, it'll all go well. But, then again, knowing your luck and Murphy's law....well....let's just hope for the best, against the odds!
<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:30 pm

Quoting Murphy's Law, classic fashion Byte. But, let's just say Murpy's Law Revision was with me today. Oh get this, as I am typing this post, due to my big ass pic, everything is off-centered, so now my side-scrolling bar is moving like a typewriter! lmao! I should just keep typing so that when I get to the end, I can say *ding* and holy crap I did it! rofl!
CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:59 pm

Just to let you know - that 830+MB AVI file made it to the shared folder okay. I'm going to D/L to my PC and split it up into smaller parts so it can get uploaded to YouTube. Do you know the maximum size of a file you can upload (run time or file size) so I can split them properly?

When I am finished, I'll put the parts back into the public folder, and you can pull them down at your leisure

:D
<<

Lizzardis

Advanced Soldier
Advanced Soldier

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:59 am

ByteSlinger wrote:Just to let you know - that 830+MB AVI file made it to the shared folder okay. I'm going to D/L to my PC and split it up into smaller parts so it can get uploaded to YouTube. Do you know the maximum size of a file you can upload (run time or file size) so I can split them properly?

When I am finished, I'll put the parts back into the public folder, and you can pull them down at your leisure

Would it be wrong of me to ask what the hell you're going on about? I'm trying to piece together what you just said, along with the rest of the thread... But I can't and I'm so confused by it.

830MB AVI File?
Shared Folder?
Public Folder?

SO CONFUSED! :oops:
<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:11 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Poor Lizz, he's so confuzzeled! :P Youtube has a 10 minute maximum for any and all videos Byte. I also have another video that is about half an hour in length, and it's replacing my keyboard and palm rest. So if it is half an hour, then it should roughly be the same size as the one I sent you the other day. I'm hoping you'll be on AIM around 12:15 or so. That way I can get the second video upload started and hopefully have it finished by the time I have to go back to work tonight at 5.
CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:54 am

SlntCobra1 wrote: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Poor Lizz, he's so confuzzeled! :P Youtube has a 10 minute maximum for any and all videos Byte. I also have another video that is about half an hour in length, and it's replacing my keyboard and palm rest. So if it is half an hour, then it should roughly be the same size as the one I sent you the other day. I'm hoping you'll be on AIM around 12:15 or so. That way I can get the second video upload started and hopefully have it finished by the time I have to go back to work tonight at 5.

Okay, I'll try to split it into 3 or 4 parts. As for the 2nd video, you can upload that any time - go back into firefox, click on "Tools", and you'll see "FireFTP". Click on that, and then click on the WKR account. It will open up the remote folder just as it did before. Then all you have to do is find your AVI in the left set of folders, and "drag and drop" to the remote folder.

Nice thing about this time is that all of that account info and login stuff is already saved on your PC, so it will go much easier - but it will still take 5 - 6 hours, so you may want to wait until no one needs that machine for the day.

As for being on AIM later - not gonna happen. Got my nephews high school graduation to go to today - won't be home until later tonight. But I should be around on Sunday. If you're on later (say after 10 - 11 PM) tonight, we might catch eachother then.
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:29 pm

Sorry about the double posts - you didn't get back to me, so I figured you were busy.

Anyway, I took your video, split it into 4 parts, and uploaded them to YouTube for you:

Part 1 of 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbIVFjLBPeU

Part 2 of 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP5pXOrUl8Q

Part 3 of 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ok_2mj3n4

Part 4 of 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgIzXccBCHk

It was easier just to post them than send it back to you and have you screw around with them.

When you watch them, go for a "pop-up" window - the video was converted to 320 x 240 format, and it looks clearer in the pop-up.

Hope you like it!
Next

Return to Barracks Lounge