Server Downtime - February 9th, 2012 - ISP Migration

<<

EagleRock

Chief Barracks Officer
Chief Barracks Officer

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:29 am

Server Downtime - February 9th, 2012 - ISP Migration

Hey, everyone!

Sorry about the server downtime today...I was involved in migrating my ISP from Verizon FIOS to Optimum Online Cable.

I have decided to move away from the dedicated bandwidth that Verizon's fiber-optic service provides and take my chances with the pooled bandwith that cable service gives. My old service with FIOS was 20mbps down, 5mbps up. My actual data speeds were roughly 25mbps down, 5mbps up. With Optimum, my advertised speed is 50mbps down, 8mbps up. So far, my speed has not been slower than 58mbps down, 8mbps up. After talking with the cable technician (who I managed to establish a rapport with and get some straight answers from), he basically said I can expect, even on a really bad day, to never drop below 55mbps, only because Optimum Boost gets connections to three separate nodes, which basically ensures my connectivity won't drop too low.

My original reason for my migration was that my cost of Verizon services was about 150 bucks a month (for cable, Internet, and phone). As I was getting tired of paying so much, I decided to try to get a deal from Verizon, who all but gave me the one-finger salute, despite me being a loyal customer since roughly 2006. So, after talking with Optimum, they offered me better Internet services for $110/month. After one day of using the new ISP, I believe it can only improve the services that Delorean provides. Extra upstream for all of you!

Anyway, my sincere apologies for the extended downtime. We were down roughly from 2PM on 2/9 to 1AM 2/10. I neglected to notice I forgot to port-forward port 8000 when I set up my new router, which caused the downtime on the forums. In fact, the server was up by around 3PM with all other services (such as Minecraft). So, I apologize for the major inconvenience of losing the forums for half a day.

On a side note, the server's still humming along very well...so let me segue in a way for me to brag about my uptime:

Code:
eaglerock@delorean:508:~$ uptime
 01:25:37 up 449 days,  9:34,  4 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.04, 0.05

Okay, that's all I have. Again, my apologies for the downtime!
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Server Downtime - February 9th, 2012 - ISP Migration

Nice to see you're taking care of your server.... :ugeek:

Now, far be it from me to bring things to our illustrious leader's attention...but it would also be nice to see you a bit more active here and on the NG forums. Now, I know life has tossed you a lot of grenades lately...and I'm not asking for 10 hours a day...not even 10 a week. But maybe once or twice a week chime in and take a peek at what's going on....weigh in on some votes...you know, all that command stuff you're so good at doing. Take a break from your sucky reality and get away for a bit in this imaginary digital world where you are known, loved, respected...and maybe even feared. :P

On a personal note, I miss my *nix counterpart. It's no fun being a greyhat when none of the white hats want to come out and play...
:cry:
<<

EagleRock

Chief Barracks Officer
Chief Barracks Officer

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:21 am

Re: Server Downtime - February 9th, 2012 - ISP Migration

Fair enough.

One question, though: who the hell said I was a white hat? :-P

Return to Server Info/FAQ's