Server Downtime - September 25th, 2010 - Power Failure

<<

EagleRock

Chief Barracks Officer
Chief Barracks Officer

Post Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:55 am

Server Downtime - September 25th, 2010 - Power Failure

Hey everyone,

Delorean had a bit of downtime on the 25th from 2:45PM EDT to 3:30PM EDT on the account of me working in my basement. In order to build the soffit needed to enclose the ductwork, I had to move some light fixtures and do some rewiring. This required me to cut the electricity in the house around 2:20PM EDT. You know, to avoid electrocution and stuff.

Anyway, the rewiring was a bit complicated due to the fact we were removing some fixtures and enclosing them in the ceiling, so the actual work took about 45 minutes. The battery backup I have servicing the server lasts only about 25 minutes, therefore, the system initiated a graceful shutdown around 2:45PM. I was able to bring back the power at 3:00PM, which automatically powered back on the server.

However, while the server powered on around 3:00, it was not able to come back fully online right away. The server had not been powered off for over 2 months, so file system checks were forced by the OS. Since I have over 3TB of storage space on the server, this took a while. The server finally came back online around 3:30PM EDT.

While I don't think this was a huge problem for people, I apologize for the lack of notification on the downtime.
<<

SlntCobra1

Discharged
Discharged

Post Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:45 am

Re: Server Downtime - September 25th, 2010 - Power Failure

:shock:

I hadn't even noticed the server was down. Hmm, I guess it just never occurred to me to refresh the forums tab as I was so busy in the Portal. Oh well, at least it's up and running again. :)
95% of teens would cry if the Jonas brothers were about to jump off of a 10 story building. I'm one of the 5% who would bring popcorn and invite friends.
CLICK MAH SIG!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
<<

ByteSlinger

Master of the Portal
Master of the Portal

Post Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:46 am

No problems here. It was the weekend, and real life does take precedence sometimes. Hope your wiring went well - and it didn't involve a trip to the emergency room!

:lol:
<<

EagleRock

Chief Barracks Officer
Chief Barracks Officer

Post Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:08 pm

ByteSlinger wrote:No problems here. It was the weekend, and real life does take precedence sometimes. Hope your wiring went well - and it didn't involve a trip to the emergency room!

:lol:

Nah. We've done more than our share of this (especially my dad) to get electrocuted over moving an electrical box underneath a joist. :-)

SlntCobra1 wrote::shock:

I hadn't even noticed the server was down. Hmm, I guess it just never occurred to me to refresh the forums tab as I was so busy in the Portal. Oh well, at least it's up and running again. :)

Then...my plan worked! The NINJA ADMIN strikes again!

Return to Server Info/FAQ's